We all love our humble abode and do what not to make it look beautiful, spectacular and absolutely comfortable. From comfy couch to soft cushions, from decked out halls to decorated walls, we make sure that everything is perfect. But often we don’t give the bathroom as much consideration as it deserves. Mostly because of the lack of square footage. But flush this notion into the toilet and renew your bathroom plans with these Small Bathroom Design Ideas and get to know All About Tiles, Flooring Designs, Tubs, and Decor Tricks.
Whether you are renovating your small bathroom or starting from scratch with little space than your liking, don’t get disappointed just yet. You could do a lot with the limited space but proper planning is must to turn your small bathroom into a lavish one.
Small Bathroom Design Ideas
Bathroom Tile Ideas
Put your first step in and what do you see in a bathroom? Tiles, what else! Yes, there will be faucets, tubs and other décor items but tiles will be the first thing that would catch your attention. Let’s have a look at some of the best patterns for your bathroom tiles.
Subway tiles are the most popular designs when it comes to flooring. With different placement techniques, you can get a varying number of styling patterns like herringbone, basketweave, stacked or running bond, crosshatch, etc.
Tiles in a hexagon pattern have become very popular these days and the reason is nothing but how amazing they look. You can get them in all sizes and when used in bold colors, they just turn the whole look of the bathroom.
For people who like all things natural and green, this unique pattern of tiles is perfect. The leaf-patterned tiles would give a great accent to your bathroom walls.
If anything can take you away from your thoughts while soaking in your tub then it is these fish scale tiles covering your bathroom wall. They just look so mesmerizing that you can’t help but get lost in it.
The mosaic pattern is another great alternative to try when you are looking for bathroom tiles. They could enliven the small bathroom space, unlike anything. All you need to do is pick the color and finish of your choice.
Geometric patterns are a great hit in the bathroom be it for walls or the floors. Triangle, diamond, square, etc. are some of the most popular choices for bathroom tiles.
Different Materials Of Tiles
So what is exactly that you need to think of while choosing the bathroom tiles? The first thing, of course, the design. Because who wants ugly tiles! But amidst this, also think about the material of tiles. Why? Because you don’t want to keep renovating your bathroom tiles again and again. So give a lot of consideration to the material of the tiles. Let’s find out the different materials of tiles that you could have your pick from.
You can get anything you want when it comes to porcelain tiles. They come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, colors, and styles. You name it and porcelain tiles will be available in it. They could cost a little extra but then again, they come with extra life so it is really worth it.
These are the cheaper version of porcelain tiles because relatively they would cost lesser and would also have less durability. However, with a good seal, you can extend its life. Both porcelain and ceramic tiles can be cold, hard and slippery. But you could make use of bathroom rugs to avoid this problem.
You can’t deny the beauty of marble but you also cannot deny the dangers of marble in a wet area. It could stain easily, rust easily and get discolored. So, think a lot before you opt!
Vinyl is one of the best options to go for if you can ignore the end result which would be definitely not up to other tiles’ standard. But what it lacks in appearance, it would make up in maintenance because it is super easy to clean and quite durable. And the best part is that it does not get slippery or cold.
Slate, being one of the strongest natural stones is highly durable. So scratches, cracks, breaks or chips, you don’t have to worry about anything. This makes slate tiles as a great choice for bathroom floors. However, they are a bit expensive, but again they don’t need to be maintained much. They can also get slippery so floor mats and radiant heating are something you should definitely consider.
What kind of flooring should your bathroom have?
The type of flooring would depend upon the style of your bathroom and your budget, obviously! The tiles of your bathroom wall can be chosen with aesthetics in mind but you can’t choose flooring tiles on a whim. Because neither do you want to slip on them and break your neck nor do you want to drop something heavy and crack the tiles. Here are some tips to help you select your bathroom flooring tiles.
- For a minimalist look, go with slate tiles or concrete flooring. The grayscale elegance would look sublime and pretty.
- When you are aiming for a cool contemporary style for bathroom, combine porcelain tiles in hexagon pattern for floor and herringbone pattern for the wall. A monochrome tone would finish the whole look in the best way.
- Go with the pebble tiles for the flooring if you are looking to create a beachy effect right there in your bathroom.
- Small mosaic tiles on the floor would give a nice character to your small bathroom combined with stacked tiles on the wall.
- Maintain a rustic theme in your bathroom by creating a texture of your own with subway tiles and pairing it with walls covered in mosaic tiles.
- If vintage theme is your choice for bathroom, then give the walls a nice touch of wallpaper and cover the floor in dark vinyl planks.
- To create a unique look, combine three different patterns of tiles but stick to the same color palette. It will help you to define each area separately and make your bathroom look absolutely stunning.
- To avoid slippery accidents, go for wood finishes which are warm and slip-resistant.
Décor Tricks For Small Bathrooms
The trick is to make your bathroom look bigger and make use of the space available in the most efficient way. Start by clearing the bathroom and get rid of the clutter.
- Go for an oval bathtub rather than the regular rectangular ones. This way you can create the illusion of space.
- Use a shower curtain or sliding glass door for the shower. Make sure the glass is clear and combine bathtub and shower to make the best use of the small space.
- Be it vanity, faucets or any storage unit; keep them wall-mounted to free up some floor space which can be used for something else like small items.
- Get a giant mirror for your small bathroom and make your bathroom look bigger and full of light.
- Keep your bathroom clutter-free by using multi-functional furniture which can be moved around.
- Install open shelves on the wall to get more storage space and use them for décor items like small planters.
- Use the same color palette for everything in the bathroom, starting from tiles and walls to the vanity and décor items.
- Create the illusion of a bigger space by tiling the side of your bath and the wall with the same design and pattern.
- Choose pedestal or trough sinks to get more floor space.
After a long, tiring day, all we want is to get in the tub and have a good, relaxing soak. So even if it is a small bathroom, who said you can’t create a lovely space that would challenge even the most expensive spas. With the help of these ideas, make your bathroom as beautiful as you want and keep things simple.