The symptoms of pregnancy are not leaving your back until (or maybe even after) baby is born. From morning sickness to cravings, you are slowly going to experience it all. One such side effect is edema. Now, most of you are experiencing it, however, only a few know why it happens. Moreover, there are only some who know how to deal with it. are you facing swollen feet problem? Do you want to have a home remedy for it? well, here we are with Edema – Swelling of Ankles and Feet During Pregnancy | Reasons, Risks, Prevention and Cure. We assure you, these remedies will definitely soothe you.
Edema – Swelling of Ankles and Feet During Pregnancy | Reasons, Risks, Prevention and Cure
There are a lot of changes that you will be facing in your body after you have conceived. The 1st trimester of pregnancy is termed to be the most difficult one. here you will experience the worst of all morning sicknesses. Moreover, it’s your first time and getting used to it will take some time. By the time you proceed towards your 2nd trimester, you will have a little soothing feeling because the morning sickness reduces. However, you will face the problem of swollen ankle and feet that we call edema during this time.
When do feet swell during pregnancy?
About three-quarters of women are affected by edema. It initiates around week 22 to week 27 of pregnancy and sticks around until you give birth. This means the swelling starts by 2nd trimester and stays till you deliver.
What causes swollen ankles and feet during pregnancy?
When you are pregnant, your body fluids increase to nurture both you and your baby. They accumulate in your tissues as a result of increased blood flow and pressure of your growing uterus on the pelvic veins and your vena cava. Vena cava is the large vein on the right side of your body that returns blood from your lower limbs to your heart. This makes your ankles and feet to swell. You might also experience minor swelling in your hands.
Are there risks associated with swollen ankles and feet?
If there is a mild swelling at your ankle and feet that is caused by edema, it is not harmful. Every one in four women (the lucky one) does not experience edema. Having edema during pregnancy is juts normal until you experience it on your face and hands. If the puffiness doesn’t go away in a day, go ahead and call your doctor.
Too much swelling is a sign of preeclampsia. However, it has some more symptoms like high blood pressure, rapid weight gain, and protein in the urine.
How to stop feet from swelling- Prevention and Cure
- Avoid long periods of standing or sitting- being in a certain position will cause your swollen feet to worsen. Keep moving from time to time.
- Raise your feet- while you are sitting, if it is possible, keep your feet high up. This will help your swelling to reduce.
- Sleep on your side- to be specific, sleep on your left side. This helps your kidneys to eliminate waste and reduce swelling.
- Move it- whoever said you must not workout or exercise during pregnancy is telling you a myth. Keeping your body moving is necessary to have a healthy pregnancy. Now, this does not mean you have to do heavy weight training. Go for simple pregnancy workouts.
- Avoid too-tight elastic-top socks or stockings- the main motive for you to do is let the blood flow. Avoid wearing tight elastic clothes.
- Wear comfy shoes- now we don’t need to tell you this, but you must avoid wearing tight shoes and high heels. Wear comfortable footwear and when you get the option of keeping them aside, do it.
- Try support hose- if you can, you must use support hose. Wear it in the morning before the swelling starts. This will aid the swelling.
- Drink lots of water- drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day will help rid your system of excess sodium and other waste products, minimizing swelling.
- Don’t go crazy with the salt shaker- if you cut out all the salt in your diet, you will eventually end up having swelling. Have salt in a controlled amount.
Apart from this, if you are facing swollen feet issue during pregnancy, it is because of the hormone relaxin that makes the bones to spread out. As you deliver your baby, the swelling may reduce. However, you might have to buy new shoes now because the feet size me get larger!