Passion is something that drives a man across the seven seas! As the summers have officially made their presence felt, it is time that you dwell in your favorite hobbies this vacation. Do you have a passion for painting? Are you a beginner? So here is The Basic Guide to Acrylic Painting Tips and Techniques for Beginners!
We have summed up the basic techniques (and some advance so that you can ponder upon them once you learn the basics) with an example of what the painting will look like using that technique. Therefore, you have an example that you can try to check whether you can apply the technique well. However, that’s not all, we have some bonus tips for you that will guide you in using your art supplies and mixing colors! So have a great time and Happy painting!
The Basic Guide to Acrylic Painting Tips and Techniques for Beginners
The most basic technique that you can learn is the wash technique. All you have to do is mix your acrylics with little parts of water and paint it like watercolors. This technique gives a watercolor-like feel to the painting.
The Dry Brush Painting Technique
When we say dry brush, it means there will be no use of water in any way! All you need to do is grab your brushes and drag the unmixed acrylic paints across your canvas.
Stippling Painting Technique
The stippling technique revolves around dots! Yes! For this painting technique, you have to do the dot work with your paints in a way that it results to be a gorgeous painting. Decide the colors in your mind and put it on the canvas! With this, here are Cost-Effective DIY Home Decoration Ideas Without Spending a Penny!
Sponge Painting Technique
As the name suggests, you have to use a sponge for this technique. Garb a piece of sponge and dip it into the paint. Then dab it on the canvas to create beautiful textures.
For this technique, you need to splatter the paints on your canvas. Take the paints in a medium consistency and splatter it on the canvas randomly for this technique.
This technique involves you to have a layer of paint on the canvas. Let it dry, then coat a layer of another layer and scratch it to bring out the base color.
This technique is mostly used for giving depth to the painting. Initially, you need to paint a layer of a darker color and let it dry. Then use a lighter color to make an effect and use a cloth to blend it.
Palette Knife Painting Technique
Palette knife painting is rather an intermediate level painting which lets you experiment with the acrylics. What you need to do here is use different knives to create a 3-d effect to the painting. This adds in dimensions to your painting along with beautiful textures.
An advanced level technique, this can be easily done if you can do the palette knife painting. All you need to do for this is add in more layers of paints and create whole textures with it.
This technique is used to give highlights to your painting. What you need to do is incorporate thin layers of paints at certain places so that it creates a beautiful effect.
Acrylic Painting Tips for Beginners
- To lend the complexity of color mix it with white or a lighter shade of the that color
- However, to darken a color, you should never use black.
- To make blues look deeper, add red to it.
- Always, and we mean it by every letter, always gesso your canvas. You should never directly paint on an unprimed canvas.
- To have a more vibrant and effective feel to your painting, under paint the canvas in brown color.
- Use high-quality brushes and take care that your brushes don’t dry with the paint still on it. This spoils the brushes
- Always store the brushes in the bristles facing upward direction.
- View your painting time to time by going 5-10 steps back and view it from every angle as well.
- If you can, take the photographs of the progression of the pictures.
- Acrylic paints dry off quickly, so remember to mix and blend them quickly. Also, wash off your brushes immediately because same.
- Don’t go for the expensive paints now. Once you master the art of painting, then you can invest in high quality and expensive paints.
- While you mix water with the acrylics, add in small amount and see whether you the required consistency.
- Acrylics get darker as they dry, so choose your colors carefully.
The Basic Guide to Acrylic Painting Tips and Techniques for Beginners is framed in such a way that a beginner could get what he requires. We hope we could get you out of your doubts and you could learn acrylics painting from here. However, you cannot just read and learn, you need to have practical knowledge more than the theoretical. Therefore, get set and ready to pick up your brushes and paints so you can paint beautiful paintings on the mighty canvas!